An important component of being a successful freelance designer is the ability to build strong client relationships. If you don’t have good customer service skills it doesn’t matter how talented you may be. Lasting and trusting relationships are what keep freelancers and small companies in business.
A satisfied customer is worth their weight in gold. As American entrepreneur and author Jim Rohn writes, “One customer well taken care of could be more valuable than $10,000 worth of advertising.
"If you’re skillful in both your trade and public relations, your best advertising will be by word of mouth. If clients like the quality of service you provide, they will recommend you to others.
Important points to remember:
• Provide quality of service – treat your clients with the same courtesy and professionalism that you would expect to receive.
• Communicate openly and effectively – Follow up on all emails and questions from your clients. If you don’t know the answer, let them know you’ll get back to them and then do your research.
• Meet deadlines – Never give a client a deadline you cannot meet.
• Be honest and share your knowledge.
• Make yourself part of your client’s business success – Let them know that their success is also yours!
• Follow up with your clients to be sure everything was done to their satisfaction.
And in the words of General George Patton, “Always do more than is required of you.” You’ll stand out above the crowd.